Sunday, November 20, 2011

Audacity & Ringtones?

I have the program Audacity and I make a lot of ringtones... The ringtones are really big though, I export them as mp3's .. how can i make them smaller?!

Audacity %26amp; Ringtones?
I've run into the same problem, and what I realized is that since these are ringtones, they aren't exactly going to be playing over high-quality sound systems. :P First thing I do (after editing) is make the whole thing mono, since having two separate channels for something playing over one little phone speaker would be an unnecessary waste of space. Then, I encode the MP3 at a lower bitrate than I usually would for anything else. This might take a bit of experimentation depending on what's in the ringtone, but I never really go over 128. For 15-30 second ringtones, I usually end up with something that's around 300-500 KB, which is perfect for my phone which only allows files under 640 KB to be used as ringtones. :)
Reply:You can reduce the bitrate of the songs. Since they're playing on a cell phone they probably don't sound fantastic anyway. Reducing the bitrate from 192 kbps to 128 kbps probably won't be noticeable from a cellphone's speakers.





Edit: Audacity will only save at 128 kbps if you don't use the LAME plugin, which will allow you to choose bitrates up to 320 kbps and as low as 16 kbps.





You can get the LAME plugin here: http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/


Download it and unzip it to a directory. I generally use Audacity's directory.





Open Audacity, go to Edit menu %26gt; Preferences, choose the "File Formats" tab. The bottom section is "MP3 Export Setup". Click the "Find Library" button and navigate to the directory where you put the LAME .dll file (it's in the unzipped folder). Select lame_enc.dll and click ok.





Now you should be able to choose your bit rate in the same "File Formats" tab. Pick something lower than it currently is (96 or 64 kbps should be fined ) and click okay... you're done.


No comments:

Post a Comment